Thursday 25 September 2014

Strathcarron 10k



2 weeks after a 24 hour race racing a 10k wouldn't normally be on the agenda. However this is a fundraiser for the hospice where Elsie's sister has just started working so we thought it would be nice to do it. Esther planned to do it pushing Ailsa in her super flash running buggy, so myself Elsie and Joe decided we would race it and then jog back to run in with Esther and Ailsa.  My post brain haemorrhage pb of 36.30 was at the Marymass 10k 2 weeks before Glenmore24, so today on a hilly course 2 weeks after Glenmore I probably wasn't going to get near that and I decided not to look at the watch and just run on feel.  And the feel was- blowing out of my arse. The 1st 4k is pretty lumpy and mainly uphill.  Joe and another chap had sped into the distance, so I was left at the back of a group of  4 fighting for 3rd place. Despite the legs feeling a bit on the hurty side it was fun to be running hard instead of doing the ultra shuffle at 10min mile pace. In the 2nd half the other guys in the group slowed a little and I managed to hang on for  3rd place. Forgot to stop the watch at the end, but strava suggests time was about 38:10.  Normally a time that would make me a bit grumpy but I was pretty pleased with the effort coming a couple of weeks after a +100miler, plenty of time to get some speed back. Elsie came in at around 43 mins, then we jogged back up the course to find Esther who was doing brilliantly pushing Ailsa in the running buggy.  This weekend it is back into the hills for the 2 breweries race down in Broughton. 30k with 1500m climbing makes for a decent day out and good beer at the end is an extra bonus.  Not looking forward to that last climb up Trahenna though...

No comments:

Post a Comment