Monday 24 March 2014

39 days

I didn't ask the doctors how long I should wait before I started trying to run again fearing I wouldn't like the answer they gave me.  In the end I lasted 39 days.  I started with a few sneaky visits to the gym over the last week or so, and rather than making me feel even more tired it has perked me up a bit for the rest of the day.  Despite this I've been reluctant to try running, too much movement really hurts my head and I couldn't face the pounding running would give my head. However my headaches have improved over the last couple of days and on thursday night I anounced to Elsie I was going to try a run the next day.  She didn't look particularly pleased with this plan.

So Friday 21st march, the 1st post brain haemorrhage run. I decided just to head out for a very steady trot around the block, nervously clutching my mobile phone should anything go wrong.  I managed a very slow 5k, heart rate sky high, legs heavy but wow it felt good. I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

In the evening we headed down to Elsie's mum and dads for a bit of a family get together for the weekend, I packed some running kit just incase, it would be rude to visit Cumbria and not get out for a wee run.  So on Saturday I went out again, this time with Elsie's sister Amy, another easy 30 mins running, just as slow, heart rate sky high again but felt just as good as Friday.

On Sunday Elsie and Amy were heading out for 10 miles, and I asked to tag along to see if I could manage a longer run. Joe S came with us too, he had a bit of a chest infection so was happy to run at a (for him) very easy pace. It was a stunning day with great views towards the Lake District, with snow glistening on Skiddaw in the distance.  The 10miles flew by, but legs were pretty heavy towards the end. It was a pretty undulating route so it was hard to keep the heart rate down (avg 84% mhr). By the end legs were feeling pretty trashed.  It's pretty amazing how much muscle wastage there has been in 39 days. 2.5 months ago I was racing 100 miles at a decent pace, and now 10 miles at a slow pace feels like a similar level of effort. I'm hobbling about today with some cracking DOMS.

6 weeks post SAH a very unexpected 17 mile week!

No comments:

Post a Comment