Saturday 11 April 2015

Training update

I had good intentions of writing weekly updates of the training during the build up to the Anglo Celtic Plate hopefully with lots of big miles and lots of quality sessions. Training started really well but then my troublesome IT band started to niggle a bit. A visit to physio Jon Trevena gave me some interesting news as he diagnosed me with having tibial varum in my right leg- basically I am a bit bow legged- too much horse riding as a child? He thinks this is has been causing me ITB issues and has given me lots of exercises to do to get me on the mend. It is a longerterm project though and told me I would just have to manage the IT band as best as I can in the few remaining weeks in the build up to ACP. This has meant lots of treadmill miles as this seems to irritate it less if I add a little bit of incline. This culminated in an epic good friday 50km treadmill session, very sweaty- around 6 changes of t-shirt and about 3 litres of fluid consumed (Osmo hydration seemed to work really well) I think the staff at Virgin Active were considering having me sectioned. Unfortunately training has been a bit stop start due to me picking up a few flu type bugs which have been leaving me feeling pretty wiped out on a number of occasions. This weekend was all set to be the peak training weekend with a couple of back to back long sessions planned, however most of today and yesterday were spent in bed with me feeling completely zonked. I am hoping todays rest will nip it in the bud and I can get out for a good long run tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Reading fellow Team Nathan runner Antonia's travails in the build up to the World 24hour champs has left me feeling positive. She has a great attitude. Things don't always go to plan, but you just have to get on with it. The plus side of getting ill is that the lower mileage has probably helped the IT band mend faster than it otherwise would have.

Stevie G has given all us Team Nathan guys some lovely new shoes Courtesy of Pearl Izumi. The Pearl Izumi EM Road n1 and the trail version too.  I haven't given the trail ones a proper workout as I have been spending too much time on treadmills. But the Road N1s are fantabulous. I know I would say that as I have been given them for free but I do mean it, if he took them off me I would be running barefoot to go and buy a pair.  Why? They are the shoes I have most enjoyed running in since my beloved Brooks Green Silence were phased out. They just feel fast, they encourage you to run with a light, quick cadence like a good racing flat would but they feel more cushioned than a racing flat, I will be happy doing a road 100k in these. I really like these shoes. And they look pretty nice too...


No comments:

Post a Comment